Everyone have an estate. Whether you have $1 million or $10,000, you need a written plan to keep you in control and to protect yourself and those you love. If you don’t have an estate plan, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has a plan for you…and you might not like it very much.
Everyone Has An Estate
Do you know what would happen legally to you, your loved ones, and your assets if something unexpected were to happen to you?
If you don’t know, then the first step is to find out exactly what would happen, legally and financially, so that you can decide what you would want to happen differently and if you want to change the plan the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has for your family.
To do this at the Socius Law Firm, we conduct an Initial Planning Meeting with you. During our meeting, which lasts a couple of hours, you will teach us about your family your family and personal circumstances and discuss your concerns, fears, goals, and objectives. Then we will teach you about the law and your planning options, so you can make informed decisions.
Before your Initial Planning Meeting, you will complete an Estate Planning Worksheet, which is designed to help you organize your family and financial information and help you think about your goals and objectives when it comes to planning for the well-being and care of your loved ones.
We will help you to choose the estate planning option that will give you peace of mind knowing that your family would be taken care of in the way you want if something happened to you.
The foundation of your estate plan will often include a Revocable Living Trust, which is created by transferring your property into a Trust, for your benefit, during your lifetime. One of the benefits of a Revocable Living Trust is, when done correctly and maintained over time, your estate plan should help your family to avoid the expense and time, of the process of Probate, and minimize or eliminate estate taxes.
What would happen to your children?
Without proper planning, your child could be temporarily placed into the care of the Department of Children and Families (DCF). The Probate Court will determine who will raise your child, even if it is the last person you would ever want. The probate court will also appoint a conservator to manage your child’s inheritance (along with its related costs and expenses) until the age of 18.
Then, at age 18, when most parents plan for their children to attend college, your child’s inheritance will be distributed outright to him or her without any guidance or protection. Think about that for a minute – would you want your child to unrestricted access to sizeable inheritance at the age of 18? Most parents would say absolutely not!
You Need A Plan If…
-     You want your children raised according to your wishes if something happens to you and your spouse.
-     You want to control how your assets are managed, used and passed when you die.
-     You want complete control of your assets while you are alive and well.
-    You want to keep your financial affairs and information about your family private.
-     You want to control how you and your loved ones are cared for in the event of incapacity.
-    You want children from a prior marriage to get a fair distribution and prevent unintentional disinheritance.
-     You want to ensure that your pets are well-cared for should something happen to you.
-     You want heirs to be able to settle your estate quickly and inexpensively with minimal court intrusion.
-     You want to minimize or eliminate family squabbling over your estate.
-     You would like to eliminate or significanty reduce estate, income or gift taxes.
-     You are looking to protect assets from creditors, predators, lawsuits and other threats.
-     You want to leave a legacy, pass on your work ethic or personal values to your loved ones.
-    You need to plan for a special needs child to ensure they continue to qualify for government benefits.
-     You are looking to plan for a family business to avoid family conflict between children.
Satisfied Client Stories
As a professional and business owner I expect excellent performance and results from other professionals. I can say without hesitation that Todd Rosenfield and the Socius Law Firm have met and exceeded those expectations. Todd’s experience as a Estate Planning and Business Attorney make him exceptionally qualified to address a wide variety of issues. As a husband and father, as well as a business owner, I have peace of mind and sleep well at night knowing that Todd has me covered. I have utilized Todd’s services for over 10 years in a variety of legal and trust matters.
“I have depended on Todd Rosenfield to provide exceptional advice and counsel for both my personal estate planning and business needs for over 15 years. He has always taken care of every detail to ensure my issues are resolved promptly and thoroughly. I can recommend Todd without hesitation as an expert attorney.”
“I brought my parents to Socius for an estate planning consultation. They were a bit nervous and unsure if they needed a revocable living trust. Attorney Rosenfield took the time to explain the options and was very patient. We hired him on the spot.”
“We liked Attorney Rosenfield for his professionalism, knowledge and willingness to share it, and his good nature. Todd’s approach to navigating the estate planning design process helped us understand legal concepts that otherwise might have been confusing or made us feel uncertain. We were unconditionally satisfied every step of the way, including the pace of events leading to our completed Estate Plan.”
We had Mr. Rosenfield help us with the adoption of my daughter by my husband. Mr. Rosenfield is both professional and very easy going and made adoption day go very smoothly for us. Knowing that I work in Boston and live 40 miles away, he was mindful of my work and commuting schedule and was very accommodating to that. Adoption day was stress free and he took care of everything and made it a very joyous event. He even emailed us pictures of our special day! Highly recommend Mr. Rosenfield and will be looking to him for additional services in the future with family estate planning.
“Todd was my primary council for three years when I was CEO of a Medical Device precision component manufacturer in Massachusetts. Todd was very competent and reliable as a lawyer and quickly established himself as a trusted advisor to senior management on a wide variety of issues and opportunities. I would work with Todd again without hesitation and highly recommend him.”
After having our first baby, my wife and I decided that we needed an estate plan to ensure our daughter was taken care of in case something happened to both of us. We were recommended to Todd and the Socius Law Firm by a coworker. I can’t give enough praise to Todd for how easy and painless he made this process.
“Todd is one of the most knowledgeable attorneys and is unbelievably adept at handling a wide range of legal issues that are applicable to small to medium-sized businesses. At the same time, he is one of the most caring and trustworthy individuals I’ve worked with, always seeking to understand his clients’ goals and recommending the best actions to achieve those goals.”
Recently we decided it was time to update our estate plan. We spent a good amount of time researching the right attorney given our circumstances and selected Todd from a list of recommended estate planning attorneys. The results were outstanding. He was very detailed in his analysis of our needs, goals and objectives. As he prepared our documents, he communicated his thoughts and made recommendations that made a lot of sense. We could not be more pleased with the results.
When my father passed away, it was a very upsetting and confusing time. Thankfully, he had the foresight to consult with Todd Rosenfield and introduced us to his law firm. The process of settling the estate and trust went smoothly and Todd took care of every detail. We are very thankful.
I met with Todd to get my estate planning done for my family. Todd took the time to explain everything to me and helped me understand what was right for our needs. We decided to go with him and his firm cause of how professional, thoughtful and caring he was! It was a very smooth process. We were leaving our young children and wanted to make sure our estate plan was in place before traveling out of the country. We were comforted knowing it was all in place and settled for our kids. I highly recommend Todd and encourage you all to get your estate planning done!
We had been putting it off estate planning for years. After the birth of our son, my husband and I decided it was time to get our house in order. We hired Todd and could not be more pleased with the results. Todd was terrific to work with… smart, professional and insightful. The process was painless, and he guided us along each step of the way. I really appreciated him taking the time to explain everything to us and answer all of our questions. I highly recommend Todd to anyone looking to create or update their estate plan. Thank you Todd!
I am so very grateful that I was referred to the Socius Law Firm. Where to start? Todd made the whole process painless. He was very patient and professional. Todd took the time needed to explain any pertinent legal concepts which allowed us to make informed decisions regarding all of the issues for our specific estate planning needs. The presentation of the final product was the icing on the cake. Our estate planning documents came in a very organized portfolio as well as digital copies on a thumb drive. Thank you so much!
How Much Does It Cost?
We offer four levels of comprehensive estate planning – each highly customized to meet your unique family situation. Plan fees are dependent upon your personal values, goals and objectives.
- For the family who wants to take care of basic estate planning needs and is not concerned about avoiding probate or maintaining privacy. You’ll gain peace of mind knowing we are here to help you navigate the system during your lifetime and help your family after your passing.
- For the family who wants to avoid probate and gain total assurance and peace of mind knowing that in the event of their death or incapacity, all assets will be transferred to heirs with the most ease and convenience possible in the privacy of our office.
- For the family who wants the total assurance and peace of mind of the "Trust Plan" as well as the added comfort of knowing that all assets transfers are taken care of by our office. We do all “funding” for you.
- For the family who needs more than the foundational planning of the first three levels. Clients choosing the Legacy Plan may have advanced planning needs involving complicated estate tax or asset protection issues.
Call Us Today
Call Us To Discuss Your Estate Planning Needs.